Classification of  Student
Continuation as Student
Course Load
Course Changes–Additions/Withdrawals
Full-Time Status
Grading System
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Americans With Disabilities Act

Classification of Student

A student’s classification is determined at the beginning of the Fall semester as follows:

Freshman    –    fewer than 32 semester hours
Sophomore    –    32-63 semester hours
Junior        –    64-95 semester hours
Senior        –    96-128 semester hours

Continuation as Student

Continuation of a student at Ecclesia College is not automatic. The college reserves the right to discontinue the program of any student who fails to do satisfactory work or does not cooperate with the policies of the college.  The Administration may request the withdrawal of a student at any time who, in its opinion, does not fit into the spirit of the institution, whether or not the student conforms to the specific regulations of the school.

Students should consult with their academic advisor /department chair prior to each semester of enrollment and secure written approval prior to enrolling in coursework for the following semester.

Academic progress is monitored by the academic mentor/advisor for each EC student; students are updated accordingly.  A copy of the student’s degree plan is available from the Registrar’s Office upon request.

Attendance at and graduation from Ecclesia College is understood to be a privilege. The College may request the withdrawal of any student at any time if he or she fails to comply with the standards and regulations of the institution or is not compatible with its honor code. It is imperative for the student to understand that attending and receiving a degree from EC is a privilege—not a right.

Course Load

A normal academic course load consists of sixteen (16) credit hours each semester to graduate on a timely basis within four (4) years. However, in some disciplines the load may be heavier. A student must be enrolled in a minimum of twelve (12) credit hours to be considered a full-time student. No one may take more than nineteen (19) credit hours in a given semester without the approval of his or her academic mentor/advisor and the appropriate department chair. For more information refer to the Academic Catalog.

View Catalog

Course Changes – Additions/Withdrawals

To officially withdraw from a class, or make any changes in registration, student requests must be presented in writing–appropriately signed and dated (via email for online students).  For traditional students, a Class Add/Drop Form may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office or the student may e-mail his/her desired changes to

Students who fail to officially withdraw passing from a class by the date published on the Ecclesia College official academic calendar will be subject to a final grade of “F”.

Full-Time Status
Fall and Spring semesters
Full-time student status for the Fall and Spring semesters is defined as being enrolled in a minimum of twelve (12) credit hours.  Recorded course withdrawal does not change full-time status unless the student withdraws from all courses, which indicates withdrawal from the College.

Summer Term
Full-time student status during a summer session is defined as being enrolled in six (6) credit hours.

Summer Distance Classes
A student may enroll in a maximum of six (6) credit hours of EC online courses during a summer term, payable in full prior to the beginning of coursework.

Grading System

Grading Scale

A    91%-100%        Superior Accomplishment

B    81% – 90%        Commendable Accomplishment

C    71% – 80%        Satisfactory Accomplishment

D    61% – 70%        Minimal Accomplishment

F     60% or below    Failure or Excessive Absenteeism

E     Current Enrollment in Course – no grade assigned

I      Incomplete Work

AU    Audit

P      Pass (equivalent to a minimum grade of “C” or  above)

NP   No Pass

CR   Credit (e.g. by examination – equivalent to a minimum grade of “C” or above)

NC   No Credit Earned

W    Withdrawal without Penalty by Last Day to withdraw

WF   Withdrawal Failing or with Excessive Absenteeism

AW   Administrative Withdrawal

MW   Military Withdrawal

Grade Points
Grades are recorded as “A,” “B,” “C,” “D,” or “F.” Grade points are assigned to each grade: four grade points are allowed for each semester hour of “A”; three for “B”; two for “C”; and one for “D.” A minimum average of two grade points per semester hour must be earned for all work taken to qualify for graduation.

Incompletes (I)
The grade of “I” is given for work that is incomplete at the time grades are given. It is given only after the student establishes permission that his or her work is incomplete for good cause. It is the responsibility of the student to make up any incomplete work and have the professor submit a grade change to the Registrar. If this is not done within three (3) weeks of the final exam, the incomplete will be changed to an “F.”

Extension of Incomplete
The grade of “I” remains on the student transcript after the initial three (3) week deadline to finish incompletes upon the termination of the semester, and until such a time as an incomplete grade has been made up.  The time extension approved by the instructor and student’s degree granting department chair must be documented in writing, and a copy forwarded to the Registrar’s Office.  A time extension is granted only to students whose work remains incomplete for a good cause. It is the responsibility of the student to make up any incomplete work and have the professor submit a grade change to the Registrar. If this is not done within the second semester following the enrollment of the course, the extended incomplete will be changed to an “F.”

Course Withdrawal (W, WF)
Other marks used in grade reporting include “W”and “WF.” When a course is dropped after the last day to add for the semester, a “W” is recorded if the student is passing at the time of the drop. If the student is not passing, “WF” is recorded. Student must initiate the process by completing a Course Withdrawal Form by the last day to withdraw passing deadline for the semester. Any student who withdraws from a class after the eighth week will receive a “WF.”

Administrative Withdrawal (AW)
This grade is applied in two ways:  First, in exceptional cases, a student may request an “AW” after the eighth week deadline for withdrawing with a passing grade if he/she can show a good cause. Second, the administration or professor may request that a student be granted an “AW” from a course. These decisions are made in consultation with the Academic Committee. This grade will not affect adversely the GPA.

Military Withdrawal (MW)
Should a student in the National Guard or in a regular branch of military service be called to active duty, and be unable to make up course work missed within a reasonable period of time, he/she may be granted a “MW” grade. This grade will not affect adversely the GPA.

Course Repeat
Any course taken at Ecclesia College may be repeated in order to improve the student’s grade for that course.  The student must apply to the Registrar’s Office in order to retake a course.  Only the final grade and grade points will be counted in the student’s cumulative grade point average.

Pass/No-Pass Option (P, NP)
Students choosing the pass/no-pass option will receive a standard grade from the professor, but this grade will be converted to “P” or “NP” for the updated grade report and transcript. Grades of “A,” “B,” or “C” will be converted to a pass grade; grades “D” or “F” will be converted to the no-pass grade. Credits taken under the pass/no-pass option will not be counted in the GPA. The pass/no-pass option may not be chosen to fulfill baccalaureate general education requirements.  However, this system of grade reporting is used by Ecclesia to quantify remedial/developmental class grades.


President’s List and Dean’s List
The Dean’s List recognizes students who carry at least 12 units for credit in a semester, exclusive of pass/no-pass courses, and who attain a grade point average of 3.500 or better with no grade below a “C”.  The President’s List recognizes students who carry at least 12 units for credit in a semester, exclusive of pass/no pass courses, and who attain a grade point average of 4.000.

Graduating with Honors
Students who fulfill the degree requirements with a grade-point average (GPA) of at least 3.85 and receive an “A” or “B” grade on the senior paper/project will receive the distinction summa cum laude.  Students with a GPA between 3.60 and 3.849 who receive an “A” or “B” grade on the senior paper/project will receive the distinction magna cum laude.  Students with a GPA between 3.30 and 3.599 and who receive an “A” or ”B” grade on the senior paper/project will receive the distinction cum laude.

To receive academic honors, a student must be successful in the oral defense of the senior paper/project prior to April 15th , meet the cumulative GPA parameters mentioned above, and have been a full-time student at least three semesters at Ecclesia College.

Satisfactory Academic Progress at Ecclesia College

It is the student’s responsibility to maintain satisfactory academic
progress (SAP) toward a degree in accordance with the regularly prescribed standards of the college. Full-time undergraduate students at Ecclesia College must meet or exceed a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 based on a 4.0 point scale each semester of enrollment.

Any student who has less than a 2.0 grade point average in a given semester will be asked to evaluate priorities and develop a strategy to improve his/her study habits. Students will receive an academic warning letter from the Registrar at the end of the first semester he/she falls below a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. Students will receive an academic probation letter from the Registrar if they remain below a 2.0 cumulative grade point average for a second consecutive semester.

Students who are unable to meet these standards will be asked to withdraw at the close of the following semester if improvement is not seen.

In addition, satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requires a student to complete 2/3 of course work attempted per semester of study.

Further, it is expected that a baccalaureate student can complete his/her degree in a maximum of six (6) years and an associate degree within a maximum of three (3) years at EC.  The usual length to complete a bachelor’s degree is four years, however, and to complete an associate’s degree is two years at EC.

If a student who receives federal assistance fails to meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) during a semester, he/she will receive a warning letter from the Financial Aid Office as well.

Write a comment:

You must be logged in to post a comment.